Thursday, November 11, 2004

No Spot in Hollywood

Every week is about something in addition to the stagetime. Sometimes, like this week, it's about something instead of the stagetime.

So, what was this week about?

It was about seeing Judy Tenuta outside of the Improv, waiting for her car. That was the only new star-spotting to report. Anthony Clark was hanging out again. Didn't talk with either of them. Just saw them, and am now writing that I saw them.

This week was also about talking to some clown... literally, in makeup and tattered duds... outside while waiting for the late show. Didn't catch his real name. He said he'd seen me perform there on Wednesdays. He's been coming to scope things out before signing-up. Nice guy. Nice conversation.

And it was about watching about 20 comics perform. Some good, some bad, and some in the middle. The usual. I sat in the showroom for all but one of the acts, and that was only to go to the bathroom. It wasn't until about 12:45 AM that I knew I wasn't going to get onstage. I'd signed-up as #37, and didn't get a bump up to a lower spot. It was a good bet that I wouldn't get up. Nonetheless, I prepared as if I would. No big disappointment in staying on the sidelines. Sure, I'd have rather gone up, but I'm a big boy. Patience, grasshopper. Keep campaigning. Slow and steady.

At the end of the night, after the room had cleared, one of the better comics (a guy named Flip, who was celebrating his birthday) got back up onstage and did a little riffing. Mostly, he went over-the-top with hackneyed premises. Intententionally hack. Funny stuff.

By hanging out to watch that bit of extracurricular activity, I found out that Mac (who works the soundboard and hosts the show) is a Second City guy. He was trained at Second City in Chicago, and now trains/performs at the location adjacent to the Improv. I'd like to see him perform sometime, though I don't know if I'll be able to make it up to see his current show. It's on the weekend, and my current quota of one trip per week to Hollywood is plenty. Family on the weekends. Mac will have to wait.

That's what this week was about.

No comments: