Friday, February 24, 2006

Turds In The Punchbowl

I'm guilty of the same crime as the news media (and most other human beings, for that matter)...

Focusing on the bad stuff (a.k.a., the "turds in the punchbowl").

The phrase "turds in the punchbowl" is not mine, by the way. Can't remember where I first heard it. I Googled the phrase, got thousands of hits, read a number of interesting stories... but no indication of the origin of the phrase.

In any event, the reason I'm bringing this up now is because of my blogging, talking, and thinking since the "Last Comic Standing" open call. The vast majority of the day was fine. It was normal, nice, mundane human stuff (the punch in the punchbowl)...
  • Conversations, laughter, commaraderie [Elapsed Time: Over 12 hours]

On the flipside, there was a small amount of nastiness (the turds)...

  • The guy who tried to steal my spot in line [Elapsed Time: Maybe 15 minutes]
  • The nasty parting shot by one of the talent scouts [Elapsed Time: About 5 seconds].

Then why have I spent the majority of my time since the audition talking and thinking about the number-stealer and the bitch-slapper?

Well, one reason might be because I'm human.

But it stills bothers me. All of that good stuff, and the prevailing feelings are negative.

There's still hope, however. Coming to the realization that most of the day was good (and that I don't actually suck) is helping me to reverse the trend. And I've found a bunch of other blogs written by other people who auditioned that day, too... which has helped to put things in perspective. And those other bloggers also mentioned that they had a lot of fun hanging out in the line, waiting to be bitch-slapped.

Ooops... there I go again.

Now it's time to go pick up my kids at school. There's some more perspective. They don't care what happened at that audition. In fact, they're probably tired of hearing about it. And best of all, they think I'm an okay guy... no matter what that guy from the Tonight Show said.

No comments: