Wednesday, January 26, 2005

In The Moment and Into The Future

Another paradox: Live in the moment, and keep the long-term in mind.

I was just reading various articles about various stand-up comics... 12-year veterans, 15-year veterans... and it reminded me about my "place" in the scheme of things. I'm a 7.5-year veteran (6 years on, 12 years off, 1.5 years on). How good will I be in 4.5 years when I'm a 12 year veteran? How about another 7.5 years when I'm a 15 year veteran?

Doing it for a long time doesn't guarantee success. And there are some people who burst on the scene with amazing acts in a very short amount of time.

So what's my point?

As usual, the point is that there is no point.

The reason I sat down to record something for the second time today is that I was relaxed a bit by reminding myself about the lack of a time limit. And even though I need to be in the moment to be good at stand-up... or at anything, for that matter... I also have to remember that there's some amazing horizons awaiting me several years down the road.

As long as I focus on getting better, good things are going to happen.

Maybe not this month. Maybe not next month. Maybe not next year.

But they will happen.

And every step of the way, "good things" come in the form of a lot of little rewards from a lot of little audiences. Sometimes they come from singing in my car on the way to the Improv. Eventually, bigger rewards will arrive (oh, like, National TV appearances)...

As long as I keep working on staying centered, and thus (thus?) staying "real".

Oh, sure... I could get National TV spots as a neurotic asshole.

But that's so unoriginal.

No comments: