Thursday, October 28, 2004

Hello, World

Suffering from sleep deprivation today. Actually, "suffering" isn't the right word. It's actually kinda cool. The coolest thing about sleep deprivation is that it's like being high, but doesn't show up on a piss test.

I don't deprive myself of sleep just to get the buzz. It's to have a life. Sometimes, in order to juggle family, day-job, and pursuing-a-dream (welcome back!)... there's not much time for shut-eye.

Do I use enough hyphens?



So, one night a week, I don't get much sleep. Hours on the road for a few minutes on stage at the Hollywood Improv, arriving home in the wee hours of the morning, waking a couple of hours later to fulfill the day-job obligation... under the influence of sleep deprivation.

It's worth it.

Not only do I get the chance to "expose" myself in Hollywood, but there's always a couple of celebrity spottings to enjoy... albeit in a somewhat subdued manner. It's cool seeing the 2D stars in 3D... but no need for a drool bucket.

ANYWAY (since there should always be at least one "anyway")...

Last night's spottings included Eric McCormack (Will, from "Will & Grace"), Kevin Nealon, Kathleen Madigan, and Bobcat Goldthwait. Budd Friedman (the owner/founder of the Improv) was there, too. The first show was a charity benefit. That's why there were a few more "heavy hitters" than usual.

Speaking of "heavy hitters", last night was the night the Boston Red Sox won their first World Series in 86 years. Cool night. At one point, Eric McCormack sat next to me at the bar, and we talked about the Red Sox winning the Series for a bit. Just guy-to-guy stuff. No showbiz talk. Once again, pretty cool...

But no drool bucket.

Oh, and I performed, too. After the benefit. During the late show (a.k.a., "Improv Jam"). That's ostensibly my reason for going up there. Actually, that is the primary reason, with the goal being to become an Improv Regular one day.

Originally, my goal was just to get a week at the Irvine Improv. Ironic that I need to go to Hollywood to get booked for a week in Irvine. I was reluctant at first (considering how things turned out the last time I immersed myself in the scene up there). But as it turns out, I'm enjoying it, and even shooting a little higher than Irvine.

Not much higher.

I'd be happy becoming an Improv Regular, and performing as a Featured Act (a.k.a., Middle) at Improv locations around the country...

While keeping my day job.

I wouldn't mind doing a little TV now and then. Little spots on shows featuring several stand-ups...

While keeping my day job.

No aspirations to have my own show. No dreams of starring movie roles. No shooting for the stars this time around. Instead, I'm satisfied with getting my performance fixes, and the occasional celebrity elbow rub...

While keeping my day job.

Am I in denial? Stay tuned...

No comments: